Yesterday was supposed to be the first day of my little activity of writing three things that I’m thankful for everyday. And I didn’t publish anything.
I’d like to explain to you guys why I didn’t publish anything yesterday, and then do my gratitudes for yesterday and today.
The explanation: Yesterday around 2:30 pm, I got a message on facebook from my Uncle. The uncle in question is the father of my two cousins who died of cancer, and since their deaths he has started and ran a foundation in their honor. the details of the foundation can be found at http://www.mackeychildrensfoundation.org. The message that I receive from my uncle was him asking to come to his house that night, because he had somebody he wanted me to meet. I said sure I could come over, and we discussed details like timing and such, and I went about my day.
That night I got to his house and was introduced to a man named Ronnie Duvall. Through conversation I learned that Ronnie has been traveling the country meeting with families of children that are fighting cancer to hear and share their stories, touring hospitals to learn the ins and outs of childhood cancer treatment, interviewing childhood cancer survivors to learn their stories and inspire them to help others fighting, and meeting with state legislators to try and petition for more funding to childhood cancer research.
Ronnie, My uncle, and I talked for a while and I shared with Ronnie my cancer story, at which point he asked me if I would be willing and able to share my story in a Facebook Live interview that he would record and post on his page. I agreed and we sat down at the kitchen table to do an interview. Now that I’ve explained all of that, I can continue with my gratitudes. 🙂
- I’m thankful for loving family that supports me and encourages me to share my story.
- I’m thankful for people like Ronnie Duvall, who see a need and do all they can to help fill it.
- I’m thankful that God has provided me with opportunities to use the “dirty” parts of life in a way that may be able to help others.
- I’m thankful for the friends and family who have seen or heard about the video from last night, and have shown huge amounts of support.
- I’m thankful for a brother who brings me lunch, because he knows today is my busiest workday and he wants to help however possible.
- I’m thankful for a sister who doesn’t get annoyed when I text and call her late at night, despite the fact that she lives half a country away and is severely pregnant.
So that’s it. Those are my gratitudes from yesterday and today, and a quick story about how blessed I am. I’ve added the link to the video at the bottom of this post for anybody who may be interested in watching it. And I highly encourage you to check out the Mackey Foundation, and Ronnie Duvall’s facebook to learn more about childhood cancer statics and stories in the US.